Even as its miles increase, the trucking industry continues to improve its safety record. At the national level, the large truck fatal crash rate for 2013 was 1.44 fatal crashes per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. This rate has dropped nearly 40 percent over the past decade.
Safety & Maintenance Management Council
ATA’s Safety and Maintenance Management Council (SMMC) is composed of safety and maintenance professionals from hundreds of Association member companies. These men and women contribute daily to highway and workplace safety by sharing their extensive knowledge and experience for the benefit of the entire organization. To get to know these individuals and to be able to call upon their expertise is worth much more than the amount of annual dues. But, membership in the SMMC means a lot more. Guest speakers at monthly meetings provide up-to-date information on innovations in technology, proposed and finalized federal and state regulations, and a wide variety of other timely subjects. Other SMMC activities, such as the annual Alabama Truck Driving Championships and Courtesy Roadside Inspections, give members an opportunity to participate in programs that help spread the Association’s message of highway safety far and wide and help members stay informed on the ever-changing climate of the trucking industry.
SMMC activities and services include:
- Networking opportunities
- Monthly meetings for Birmingham, Gulf Coast, and Wiregrass Chapters
- Annual Fleet Safety Awards and professional recognition for you employees, including Driver of the Year, Safety Professional of the Year, and Maintenance Professional of the Year
- Annual Alabama Truck Driving Championships
- Annual National Truck Driving Championships
- Courtesy Roadside Inspections
- Christmas Banquet
- Professional training and certification opportunities
- Online training for your employees and drivers through ATA’s partnership with Vertical Alliance Group.
To join, contact us today at 334-834-3983.