Wednesday, July 14, 2021

FMCSA updates Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse user resources

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has posted updated materials to help CDL drivers and their employers register for and get started using the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse.

Why should employers register?

  • Register for the Clearinghouse.
  • Conduct queries on all potential new hires, and at least annually on all current employees who perform safety-sensitive functions, such as operating a commercial motor vehicle.
  • Report driver violations (positive alcohol tests, test refusals not reported by a medical review officer [MRO], and actual knowledge of violations).

Why should drivers register?

Drivers must be registered in the Clearinghouse, with a verified CDL number, to respond to employer consent requests. They can also view their own Clearinghouse record at any time.

How should self-employed CDL drivers and Owner-Operators register?

CDL drivers who operate under their own authority (often called “owner-operators,” typically a single-driver operation) must register as an employer and designate a consortium/third-party administrator (C/TPA) in the Clearinghouse. Owner-operators can also add their CDL information to add a driver role, which allows them to respond to query consent requests from their C/TPA.

Download the revised user brochures to learn more:

For more information, including step-by-step instructions on how to register and more, visit the Clearinghouse Learning Center.