National ATA reacts to high profile accident in New Jersey
Monday, June 09, 2014
Posted by: Ford Boswell
Reacting to a high profile accident involving a large commercial truck over the weekend in New Jersey, American Trucking Associations President and CEO Bill Graves reiterated his group’s intent to make the industry safer through stringent enforcement of aggressive driving by commercial and private drivers; mandates for electric logging devices for professional drivers; and a mandatory 65 mph speed limit for trucks.
“The issue of highway safety, and in particular the safety of the trucking industry, has been at the forefront of the national conversation for several days due to a high profile incident in New Jersey,” Graves stated in a release Monday, June 9.
“First, as always, our thoughts are with the victims of this tragedy and their families. Every crash on our highways is a tragedy and that's why the industry places safety as our highest priority,” he wrote.
The release also addressed several issues regarding the hours-of-service rules and driver fatigue.
“The hours-of-service rules – whether they are the current regulations, the pre-2013 rules, or the rules with changes we hope to see as a result of Congressional action – only place limits on driving and on-duty time and require that between work periods drivers take a minimum of 10 consecutive hours off-duty,” he stated, “but they do not dictate what drivers do during that off-duty period.
“No rule can address what a driver does in his or her off-duty time. The industry – including ATA, our member fleets, our state associations and the millions of safe, professional truck drivers on the road today – strongly believes that drivers must take advantage of their off-duty periods for rest and that drivers should not drive if they are fatigued.”
Graves said that good public policy and good regulations stem from good research and good data.
“This is why we support a suspension of the controversial and unjustified restrictions on use of the hours-of-service restart provision, which alters driver sleep patterns and puts more trucks on the road during more risky daylight hours,” he said. “It is also why we support mandatory use of electronic logging devices to track drivers’ compliance with the hours of service requirements. In addition, it is why we support more aggressive enforcement of traffic laws to combat distracted and aggressive driving as well as restricting the speeds of large trucks to 65 mph with mandatory electronic speed governors.”
He added, “Fatigue, while an important safety issue, is a causal factor in less than 10 percent of all truck crashes, and ATA believes we need to do far more to address the other 90 percent of crashes.”