Solid leadership for a better, safer industry.
The Alabama Trucking Association Board of Directors has elected Gary Bond to serve as its Chairman for fiscal year 2016-17, replacing Greg Brown of B.R. Williams Trucking, Inc. whose term ended June 30, 2016.
Bond, a Birmingham-based banking executive with BancorpSouth Equipment Financing, has been a faithful ATA member for more than two decades, quietly doing whatever is asked to ensure the goals of the industry are realized. When ATA’s Board of Directors began searching for a proven leader to serve as its new chairman, they looked to Bond for his commitment and consistency for keeping things moving in the right direction.
“I am so honored to serve our Association,” he said. “As a member of the Association for so long, I have always admired the outstanding leaders who have worked to make this organization so strong and respected. I know that I have great shoes to fill, and I look forward to working with our Association’s leadership, membership, and staff to continue improving Alabama’s trucking industry.”
Mr. Bond is a popular member who was first appointed to the Board in 1999. Since then, he has remained among its most supportive and effective participants. With his many years in banking and lending, he is uniquely qualified to lead this Association because he is keenly aware of the financial and regulatory pressures that trouble trucking business owners. He will be a powerful asset for our Association, as we work to create a strong, nurturing business environment for Alabama truckers.
He has identified several broad goals for his stint as Chairman, including bolstering the Association’s membership; increasing the involvement of existing members at Association events and industry safety initiatives; improving membership services, and solidifying the Association’s standing as the state’s preeminent voice for industry and highway safety.
Mr. Bond lives in Hoover, Ala. with his wife of 34 years, Joy. They have two adult children, Lori Anna and Michael. He earned a degree in business from the University of Alabama.
Chairman Bond’s Agenda for FY 2016-07:
- Prepare and initiate ATA’s 2017 legislative agenda focusing on highway safety (bills to include mandatory seatbelts for all auto passengers, fines for super speeders, and the proposed Anti-Road Rage Act)
- Increase weight exemptions for trucks using LNG & CNG
- Support efforts to increase highway funding
- Prohibit expanding definition of independent contractor as it relates to trucking industry employees
- Seek additional funding for trucking enforcement
- Improve protocols to ensure prompt, reliable, and professional towing assistance
- Support agendas of trucking business partners, including the Business Council of Alabama; Alliance for Toll Free Interstates; Truckers Against Trafficking; Alabama Civil Justice Reform Council; and the Business Associations Tax Coalition; and
- Establish regional motor carrier CEO forums addressing issues of common interest